Hiring the wrong contractor can be a very costly and difficult experience, and unfortunately, there are many stories about contractor fraud and substandard construction work across Canada. Conducting a background search on potential contractors is an important first step when considering a major investment in your home renovation or new construction project.
InfoAction’s background reports provide you with important facts about a contractor’s experience and reputation including:
- Legal background: lawsuits, liens, and judgments against company or individual
- Trade certification: confirm the individual is certified to work in regulated trades
- Corporate Registry: verify whether a company is legally registered as corporation or sole proprietorship in B.C. and for how many years
- Business licence: verify that contractor is licensed by municipality in which they operate
- Bankruptcy records: any past or current bankruptcy proceedings by company or individual
- WorkSafeBC: confirm Workers Compensation Board coverage
- BC Personal Property Registry: personal property liens
- Reputation: media search for negative news stories about company or individual
- Complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau
We provide you with a summary letter containing an overview of our research, highlighting negative findings, as well as detailing the full search results.
$225/name (individual or company) + database charges + applicable taxes